Michael Orlitzky <mjo <at> gentoo.org> writes:

> >> $ portageq --maintainer-email=idl0r <at> gentoo.org

> > Now I shall research how to code something up for non-installed
> > portage packages and the overlay collections.... those listings
> > are really what I'm after.

> It already works for non-installed packages,

So it does... missed that, but now I see....

> so "all" you should have to do is clone every overlay and put them
> in /etc/portage/repos.conf before running portageq.

Hmmmmm. I currently have to add about 6 lines manually for each overlay
into repos.conf/overlays::

last entry::

[pentoo]
priority = 50
location = /var/lib/layman/pentoo
sync-type = git
sync-uri = git://anongit.gentoo.org/proj/pentoo.git
auto-sync = yes

So your saying do this for every overlay?

Surely there is just a way to concatenate metadata (or info) from overlays
into a single file (periodically) to perform this parse? Or am I just being
'dense' here and not understanding what you suggest?

I understand that what you are saying  will work, but installing every
overlay to search out package listings and descriptions seems awkward;
like there ought to be a better (lightweight) way to do this?

And then there is the problem::

Package net-analyzer/wpscan-2.9.1 is missing metadata.xml
(when not installed)

But this (description) info is visable via zugania::
https://gpo.zugaina.org/Search?search=wpscan

After installing wpscan, metadata is still not available.
but the description is via 'eix wpscan' is available.

James