On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:57:40PM -0400, cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> Dutch Ingraham <s...@gmx.us> wrote:

> > > I have a nvidia card, so I need the nvidia drivers, unless I am missinng
> > > something?
> >
> > The nvidia drivers are the proprietary drivers produced by NVIDIA; the
> > nouveau drivers are the open-source version.  Typically, the nouveau
> > driver works as well as the nouveau, except in some high-intensity
> > (generally 3D) environments.  As you know, you cannot use both at the
> > same time, but you can have them installed at the same time.  Just
> > blacklist the kernel modules of one or the other to test each.
>
> If I wanted to do that, do I need to change opengl to xorg to use
> nouveau?

I'm sure there are xorg and graphics experts on this list more suited to
answer this than me, but they would likely need a lot more information
on your installed applications to fully answer.

A good place to start would be the Arch Linux Wiki on nouveau [1], which
seems to indicate some mesa packages would be needed for opengl support.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/nouveau