On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 08:42:45 -0400, cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:

> > > But the manual and the html pages constantly talk about the grub
> > > command or rather the grub interactive command, and they usually
> > > call it grub, maybe it has a different name.
> >
> > That's the GRUB interactive shell, that you get to from the boot menu
> > (press c) or get dropped into it if there is no grub.cfg file.
> >

> hmmm, I thought you could do it from the console as well, for certain
> commands.

The commands that show up in "qlist grub" can be run from a standard
shell. The GRUB interactive shell is different, with its own set of
commands. You really need to read the online manual or the info pages
again. The man pages explain the individual commands, but only the full
manual shows how it all fits together.

Why are you looking to switch from Lilo to GRUB now? If Lilo works, stick
with it. If it is because you have EFI hardware, I'd skip GRUB and go
straight to Gummiboot or systemd-boot.

--
Neil Bothwick

Weird enough for government work.