On Monday 05 Sep 2016 10:42:34 Hans wrote:
> On 01/09/16 16:04, gevisz wrote:
> > I have bought an external 5TB Western Digital hard drive
> > that I am going to use mainly for backing up some files
> > in my home directory and carrying a very big files, for
> > example a virtual machine image file, from one computer
> > to another. This hard drive is preformatted with NTFS.
> > Now, I am going to format it with ext4 which probably
> > will take a lot of time taking into account that it is
> > going to be done via USB connection. So, before formatting
> > this hard drive I would like to know if it is still
> > advisable to partition big hard drives into smaller
> > logical ones.
> >
> > For about 20 last years, following an advice of my older
> > colleague, I always partitioned all my hard drives into
> > the smaller logical ones and do very well know all
> > disadvantages of doing so. :)
> >
> > But what are disadvantages of not partitioning a big
> > hard drive into smaller logical ones?
> >
> > Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
> > into smaller logical ones and why?
>
> I use 2TB USB drive with one EXT4 partition. Took about 30 seconds to
> format connected to a USB2 port. Testing the drive with dd and copying
> files to the drive is very slow. Don't touch "Green Drives". They die
> like flies.

Did you get the logical and physical sector aligned when you partitioned them?
(if not sure, google for 4k sector drives).  All recent versions of
fdisk/gdisk/parted and friends will align them by default.

How did you test it with dd and how are you copying files?

How slow is slow in this case?

--
Regards,
Mick