On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 19:30:54 +0100, Daniel Quinn wrote:

> Could someone help explain this emerge output to me?

You haven't told us the command that produced this output. Is this a
world update or and you trying to update Bash separately?

> From what I can tell, it looks like Bash has a new requirement that's
> not playing nice with 17 other packages on my system.  What's the best
> work around for this?  Should I just mask Bash 4.4?
>

> !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been
> pulled !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
>
> sys-libs/readline:0
>
>   (sys-libs/readline-6.3_p8-r2:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
>     >=sys-libs/readline-5.2:0/0= required by
> (sys-block/parted-3.2-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
>
> ^^^^^
>

>     (and 16 more with the same problem)
>
>   (sys-libs/readline-7.0:0/7::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled
> in by
>     >=sys-libs/readline-7.0_rc2:0= required by
> (app-shells/bash-4.4:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
>     ^^
>

> NOTE: Use the '--verbose-conflicts' option to display parents omitted
> above

You could also use the --tree option. Are you using arch or ~arch, or a
mixture of the two?

--
Neil Bothwick

Women live longer than men because they have so many clothes that they
wouldn't be caught dead in.