On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 05:34:25 PM J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On November 30, 2016 6:03:36 PM GMT+01:00, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >thought of

> >Something

> >xsane

> >> There has to be a way to do this without killing an entire forest...
> >
> >And big chunks of ink cartridges. The scans stretched the contrast so I
> >can
> >clearly read the drive labels through the translucent anti-static bags,
> >which
> >means a huge chunk of the image (what's outside the labels) is pure
> >black.
> >
> >Which I could get around by spending fifteen minutes munging things in
> >the Gimp
> >before printing, but at that point, I may as well just transcribe
> >things
> >manually at that point.
> >
> >Looking for something reasonably simple to improve the general
> >workflow. I'd
> >have hoped something would have already been available on Linux; it'd
> >be easy
> >enough to copy the scans to my phone and feed them through Google
> >Goggles for
> >the desired output, but then I'm deliberately filtering company data
> >through an
> >outside entity.
>
> Did you manage to use that link I sent?

I did. tesseract almost worked, even separating the regions cleanly in its
output, but it seems, sadly, that the 300dpi scans were insufficient to get a
good read; lots of clear corruption of the text, so things like serial
numbers, model numbers, version numbers--everything you'd care about--would be
highly suspect.

The next tool that looked like it might work, gscan2pdf, wasn't in portage,
and with the semi-garbled output from tesseract suggesting the scans were too
poor quality, I didn't pursue further.

--
:wq