J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote :

> On Sunday, December 18, 2016 03:11:58 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Peter Humphrey pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
> wrote :
> > > This morning I ran my usual daily update and was presented with a long
> > > list of kde-app packages, including KMail-2. The only problem was four
> > > blocks that portage couldn't sort out on its own, so I evicted the
> > > existing versions with emerge -C and continued.
> > >
> > > Then kleopatra failed to build, as in bug 602924. The fix there worked
> (I
> > > should call it an evasion really) and kleopatra built ok.
> >
> > I should have done some more checking before writing. The fix was to
> emerge
> > -C kde-apps/gpgmepp. I don't know whether you can do that before starting
> > the upgrade, but it's worth a try. It might save a lot of work.
> >
> > At any rate, there's no sign of gpgmepp being pulled back in with the new
> > 16.12.0 versions of kde-apps packages, now that the old versions have
> gone.
>
> More important, how is the latest kmail behaving?

It isn't.

I finished the emerge -e world, then @preserved-rebuild presented me with a
whole lot of packages, resulting in the same appalling mess as before:
incompatible versions being required of numerous packages. I've never had
@preserved-rebuild follow an -e world before.

I've reverted to a week-old system backup, but now when I invoke KMail I get a
dialogue box saying "This will start the program kmail -qwindowtitle %c %u. If
you do not trust this program, click Cancel". What? Of course I trust it, so I
click Continue, and I get "Unable to make the service KMail executable,
aborting execution"

What could possible go wrong with a simple offline tarring of files to USB disk
and back again? I know, I know...

Has no-one else tried this upgrade?

--
Regards,