On 19/12/2016 11:45, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote :
>
>> On Sunday, December 18, 2016 03:11:58 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
>>> Peter Humphrey pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>

>> (I
>>>
>>> I should have done some more checking before writing. The fix was to
>> emerge
>>> -C kde-apps/gpgmepp. I don't know whether you can do that before starting
>>> the upgrade, but it's worth a try. It might save a lot of work.
>>>
>>> At any rate, there's no sign of gpgmepp being pulled back in with the new
>>> 16.12.0 versions of kde-apps packages, now that the old versions have
>> gone.
>>
>> More important, how is the latest kmail behaving?
>
> It isn't.
>
> I finished the emerge -e world, then @preserved-rebuild presented me with a
> whole lot of packages, resulting in the same appalling mess as before:
> incompatible versions being required of numerous packages. I've never had
> @preserved-rebuild follow an -e world before.
>
> I've reverted to a week-old system backup, but now when I invoke KMail I get
> a dialogue box saying "This will start the program kmail -qwindowtitle %c %u.
> If you do not trust this program, click Cancel". What? Of course I trust it,
> so I click Continue, and I get "Unable to make the service KMail executable,
> aborting execution"
>
> What could possible go wrong with a simple offline tarring of files to USB
> disk and back again? I know, I know...
>
> Has no-one else tried this upgrade?

Not KMail, it stopped using that since years ago.

But I do notice that a bucket load of new KDE-5 packages are hitting the
tree, and despite having SLOTS 4 and 5, some of those packages are
incompatible, such as audiocd-kio. I'm stuck on SLOT 4 for the time
being as amarok is still codes for KDE-4 libs (unless there's a 5
version in some overlay).

This is all ~arch, so we are the ones who get to file the bug reports.
I advise just work through the blockers till the latest batch of
versions settle down and are all done.

As for your executable problem, what are the owners/perms of the
relevant file?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com