Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> writes:

> lee wrote:
>> Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Not in any of the computers I've built. Generally only high end or
>>> workstation/server boards have two ports.
>>>
>>> i.e. not what the typical home user would buy.
>> It is not reasonable to assume that a "typical home user" would want a
>> computer with a crappy board to run Linux on it (or for anything
>> else). If they are that cheap, they're better off buying a used one.
>> When they are sufficiently clueless to want something like that, what
>> does it matter what the network interfaces are called.
>>

> I built my current rig just a few years ago.  It has one ethernet port
> on it.  Since it didn't work right, bad drivers I guess, I added a card
> to have the second port.  The rig I built before that, it also had one
> ethernet port.
>
> I might add, I didn't buy a "crappy board" either.  The first was Abit
> which was the top rated brand at the time and my current board is
> Gigabyte, another highly rated board at the time I bought it.

I have no experience with Abit, and I can tell you from experience with
a couple of them that Gigabyte is the worst junk for a board you can
buy and that their support has no idea what they are doing.

> As Daniel
> points out, you have to get into some pretty high end boards before you
> get two ethernet ports.
>
> Just for giggles, I went and looked at Asus boards, currently highly
> rated.  I had to get up around the $400 range to find two ports.  Most
> computers built for home use, and even some, maybe most, business
> computers, only have one port.  It's all they need.
>
> I might also add, I have a lot of friends that give me their old
> computers.  Of all the puters I have ever seen, they had one ethernet
> port.  Over the past decade or so, I've likely stripped out a few dozen
> computers for parts.  Not one of them had two ethernet ports.
>
> I'm with Daniel on this one.

The last time I got a board that didn't have two ports is about 20 years
ago, and I never bought one for 400.  They all just have 2, needed or
not, even cheap ones.