Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 05/01/2017 06:46, Dale wrote:
>> Alan McKinnon wrote:

>>> s/I always do/I always do except this once when I forgot and then forgot
>>> that I forgot/g
>>>

>> This is why adding some options to make.conf is a good idea as you
>> already know.  I added -1 ages ago.  Why?  I would be trying to get a
>> update done and needed to do a few by hand and would forget the -1
>> option.  One can only imagine what the world file looked like.  lol
>> Since I added -1 to make.conf, nothing has went into the world file that
>> I didn't add there on purpose.  Of course, one has to remember to use
>> --select y to add those new packages but in general, I may do that a few
>> times a year where I average updating about twice a week.  Plus, when
>> you do -a --depclean and it spits out the list, you will see it and slap
>> your forehead and then go add it if you really want to keep it around.
>>
>> In all honesty, I can't imagine how a person can keep a Gentoo install
>> up to date without adding that or having a really crappy looking world
>> file.  ;-)
>>
>> I wonder why the -1 isn't there by default???  I would think it would be
>> a problem only when doing the initial install, when you want to add a
>> lot of packages to the world file since most likely, nothing is there.
>> Just a thought.
> -1 isn't there by default because the purpose of emerge is to build and
> install something, then remember you did it.
>
> What -1 does is build and install something then neglect to record you
> did it.
>
> -1 cannot ever possibly be a good default.

That's true but for the purpose I was speaking of, once your install is
done, most emerges then are either updates or trying to update doing one
package at a time, to avoid conflicts etc.  If I built a new rig and was
doing a fresh install, then I would want everything I install recorded
in the world file.  Once I get the install done and I'm to the point
that I'm mostly updating, I don't generally want individual packages
recorded.

I see the point and during a install, no one would want that as a
default.  That's likely the reason it isn't.

Dale

:-)  :-)