170105 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 01/05/2017 08:05 AM, wabe wrote:
>> Make sure that you have also enabled CONFIG_DRM.
>> CONFIG_DRM=y
>> CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=y
>> CONFIG_DRM_KMS_FB_HELPER=y
>> CONFIG_DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION=y
> For nvidia, these need to be all disabled.  Then it should work.

I had a previous thread re Kernel 4.9.0 + Nvidia 375.26 (now stable).
I tried recompiling that kernel with DRM disabled,
& remerged Nvidia 375.26 , but X won't start.
Here are the last lines of  Xorg.0.log :

 (**) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia,/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
 (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
 If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
 (II) Loader magic: 0x809c80
 (II) Module ABI versions:
        X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
        X.Org Video Driver: 20.0
        X.Org XInput driver : 22.1
        X.Org Server Extension : 9.0
 (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:104a:1043:8496 rev 161, Mem @ 0xfd000000/16777216,
0xf0000000/134217728, 0xf8000000/33554432, I/O @ 0x0000e000/128, BIOS @
0x????????/131072
 (II) LoadModule: "glx"
 (II) Loading /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/extensions/libglx.so
 (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
        Module class: X.Org Server Extension
 (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  375.26  Thu Dec  8 17:59:51 PST 2016
 (==) Matched nouveau as autoconfigured driver 0
 (==) Matched nv as autoconfigured driver 1
 (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 2
 (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3
 (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 4
 (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
 (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
 (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nouveau
 (II) UnloadModule: "nouveau"
 (II) Unloading nouveau
 (EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)
 (II) LoadModule: "nv"
 (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nv
 (II) UnloadModule: "nv"
 (II) Unloading nv
 (EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
 (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
 (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so
 (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 20.0
 (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
 (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
 (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
 (II) Unloading fbdev
 (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
 (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
 (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
 (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 20.0
 (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
 (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
 (--) using VT number 7

 (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
 (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
 (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
 vesa: Ignoring device with a bound kernel driver
 (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
 (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
 (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
 (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
 (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
 (EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.
 (EE)
 error:
 (EE) no screens found(EE) -- final lines snipped

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca