Setup:
   gentoo (no-X) installed into vbox vm on win 10 (64bit) host.

I've gotten a solid base going but now want to setup LXDE.  Gentoo LXDE
wiki starts after you've already setup the X server so I went to Gentoo
Xorg wiki

Following the gentoo Xorg setup pages.  I'm having some confusion
regarding which graphics driver is needed.

The pages at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide say to turn off
any drivers you have selected in your kernel conifg at
`Device Drvrs
  -> Graphics support
   -> Frame buffer devices':

   Here it says to deselect any drivers in there.

Move on down to `Console display driver support' and select
`Frame buffer console support'

So far easy enough, but I guess I'd still need a driver for whatever
graphics adaptier vbox has on offer.  In my case it is (from lspci):

  VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatun GmbH virtualBox
  Graphics adaptor

Back at the wiki:

The the discussion goes on to a few common graphics adapters and tells
you what to do about them.  So I'm kind of lost as to what to do about
the vbox setup.

The wiki tells you to use KMS as its an improvement over other
approaches.

I like to boot with a hi-res framebuffer and do some of my chores in
console mode where I like that framebuffer.  I'm wondering if with KMS
one still can have that large or hi-res framebuffer when in console
mode.  I'm pretty sure the things I had selected in the Framebuffer
Kernel area were what makes the hi-res frame buffer possible (When not
using KMS).

So, following the Xorg pages I've deselected what settings I had there.

Haven't rebooted as yet.

Anyway, cutting to the chase:
So I'm hoping someone here is familiar with the requirements of a vbox vm
graphics adaptier and can recommend a driver, but I'd also like to hear
about how a frame buffer works in KMS.