Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> writes:

>> But no update-grub
>
> update-grub is an Ubuntuism, not part of standard GRUB. It's only a one
> line shell script that runs
>
> grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> Even a large proportion of Ubuntu users would be able to manage without
> it.

yeah, I saw once I looked at the script that it was just little
wrapper.

But I'm pretty sure that somewhere in all the gentoo stuff I was using
there is a little bit that says to run update-grub.

So not knowing anything about what it might do it seemed like
something was wrong.

But you are dead right that it ain't much... and certainly not a deal
breaker.

What can you tell me about how to get an initial hi-res frame buffer
during boot and after when in console mode?

I know how to do it in grub:0.  But I see my first feeble attempt in
grub:2 was total non-starter.