Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> You're supposed to use a video= parameter but I find the old school
> vga=794 works for me. The thing you have to learn with using GRUB, or at
> least when using grub-mkconfig, is that you don't edit grub.cfg
> but /etc/default/grub when you want to add kernel parameters.

What does vga=794 get you?

I've used `vga=0x31b video=vesfb:mtrr:3,ywrap' with grub:0 a few yrs
and get a nice size (1280x1024x32 [I think]) console but that requires
kernel settings Graphic drivers -> Frame buffer Devices ->

│ │            <*> VGA 16-color graphics support
│ │            [*] VESA VGA graphics support

I'm not sure if you need the VGA one but definitely the vesa and from
what I read digging around about KMS, you cannot select drivers
under Frame buffer devices if you want to use KMS .. only the ones
under Console Display Driver Support (a bit further down in make
menuconfig)