On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 11:17:11 +0000, Mick wrote:

> > Another option is to copy/symlink the specific package you want from
> > the bar overlay to your local overlay and do not include the bar
> > overlay in repos.conf.
>
> Sorry for being dense.  Do you mean first add the overlay with 'layman
> -a bar', then symlink the particular package to my local overlay?

Yes.

> How
> will I be updating this package in the future, if I do not have the
> 'bar' overlay settings in /etc/portage/repos.conf/layman.conf?

Layman will still update all its overlays when you run layman -S, but
portage will not see the contents. I've used this method often when I
want a single package from an overlay. You may have to link more than one
package to satisfy dependencies, but that is not usually the case in my
experience.

--
Neil Bothwick

Where do you think you're going today?