On Monday 20 Feb 2017 13:23:15 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > > Sorry for being dense.  Do you mean first add the overlay with
> > > 'layman -a bar', then symlink the particular package to my local
> > > overlay?  How will I be updating this package in the future, if I do
> > > not have the 'bar' overlay settings
> > > in /etc/portage/repos.conf/layman.conf?
> > >
> > > I'm trying to understand the benefit of doing it as you suggest
> > > above ...  :-/
> >
> > You could package.mask */*::bar and then only unmask the needed bits.
>
> That does seem a cleaner way of doing it. When I first did this, that
> option wasn't available.

Thank you both, eventually I used Kai's suggestion, rather than having to mask
a package at a time that entrance was pulling in as dependencies.

Entrance works fine, other than the pam config it ships with which is not
working at all on a non-gnome gentoo system.  I need to brush up on pam, which
I have been avoiding it seems forever and this may be the excuse I needed to
do it.
--
Regards,
Mick