Corbin Bird <corbinb...@charter.net> writes:

[...]

> Please clarify ...
> ... if this is a console only boot ( in vm ),
> ... if this is a GUI Desktop ( in vm ),
> and/or specific xterm ( i.e "x11-terms/xterm" ).

This is a full X host running lxde for desktop
The xterm I speak of is the real McCoy .. the one Thomas Dickey has
maintained since mid to late 90s.

In this case: x11-terms/xterm version 327 But I just noticed when
pretend emerge just now to see what the use flags were... I see it
defaults to -truetype use flag... which may be significant.

I'm re-emerging with USE=truetype might make some difference.

But still would not explain the fonts that are not true type failing
to load.

Do you know if some EXTRA_ECONF or something is needed to make xterm
recognize its -fa switch?

I've seen in several places that -fa font-name is used instead of -fn
font-name

Here xterm calls it a bad switch or something like and fails to load
the font.

   xterm -fa "9x15B-ISO8859-1.pcf"
xterm: bad command line option "-fa"

 xterm -fn "9x15B-ISO8859-1.pcf"
xterm: cannot load font '9x15B-ISO8859-1.pcf'

And without the quotes: