On 03/05/2017 04:22 PM, Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 05 Mar 2017 16:57:11 Dale wrote:
>> the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
>>> On 03/05/2017 02:33 PM, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
[snip]

>> I'm pretty sure grub uses that file.  I've never tested the theory.
>>
>> Why such a small /boot?  My OS is installed on a fairly small 160GB hard
>> drive.  I made /boot about 400MBs and later wished it was bigger.  I
>> later wanted to put a ISO image there for sysrescue.  If I were to set
>> up a new system now with that same size or larger drive, I'd likely make
>> /boot 1GB and maybe even 2GBs in size.  The amount of space is not that
>> large compared to the size of the hard drive.  If one is pressed to save
>> space that bad on a system, maybe they need a larger drive??
>>
>> You mentioned following a guide on that size.  I have to ask, just how
>> old was that guide?  I looked at the Gentoo install guide, it suggests
>> 128MBs for /boot, which I think is to small.  Whatever guide you were
>> using, it must be old and need some updating.  I'm not sure I'd follow
>> that one until it was.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>
> Yes, back in the GRUB legacy days boot partition was suggested to be
> something
> like 30MB I recall.  However, things have moved on and kernels got bigger
> since then.

Thanks for pointing it out. The box is several years old and as you pointing it
out the guidelines those days were 30MB

> Despite this, on an old box using GRUB legacy I have 2 kernel images, two
> System files, two config files.  I also have installed memtest, which in an
> isolinux directory on its own is taking up 11MB.  My boot partition is 46MB,
> but only 33MB is used.  If I didn't have memtest installed, then my 2x
> kernel,
> System and config files would fit in less than 20MB.
>
> Do you have anything else in there you have not accounted for?  For example
> how large is this /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz of yours?

That file is very small:
34K Mar  5 11:46 /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

> There's different ways you can hack at this problem:
>
> 1. What Alan said.
>
> 2. Tar everything out of the whole installation, resize/delete/recreate
> partitions, move everything back.  Not as slow and painful as Alan spoke of.
>
> 3. Create a new partition at the end of the disk, large enough for boot,
> after
> you resize the last partition to free up some space.
>
> 4. Do not create a new partition for boot, just copy the /boot filesystem
> into
> / and comment out the boot partition from fstab.  You'll need to also edit
> your /boot/grub/grub.conf

I like your solution #4. Will it work?

Current fstab:
/dev/sda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime  1 2
/dev/sda3               /               ext4            noatime         0 1

Change to:
/dev/sda3               /boot           ext4            noatime         0 1
/dev/sda3               /               ext4            noatime         0 1

Copy from /dev/sda1 "/boot" to /dev/sda3 /boot

grub.conf:
kernel /boot/kernel-current root=/dev/sda3 vga=normal

Since fstab is pointing to sda3 I don't think I need to change anything.

--
Thelma