On Saturday 25 Mar 2017 21:08:14 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 25/03/2017 18:23, Mick wrote:
> > After years of running KDM to start various desktop environments
> > flawlessly
> > (KDE, fluxbox, enlightenment, plasma) I had to replace it with SDDM.  With
> > the arrival of x11-misc/sddm-0.14.0-r2 I am still able to start a session
> > with enlightenment, but I am getting access rights errors, for example my
> > user is unable to mount a USB stick.  Also, when I log out it logs me
> > back in the first time and then logs out normally the second time I try
> > to log out.  I am guessing something which should be sourced, is not, but
> > I don't know how to fix it.
> >
> > For years now I have had the following files in place to control what
> > desktop manager starts:
> >
> > $ cat /etc/env.d/90xsession
> > XSESSION="enlightenment"
> >

> > $ cat /etc/X11/Sessions/enlightenment
> > #!/bin/sh
> > if [ -x /usr/bin/gpg-agent ]; then
> >
> >       eval "$(/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon)"
> >
> > fi
> >
> > /usr/bin/enlightenment_start
> >

> > cat ~/.xsession
> > #!/bin/sh
> > if [ -x /usr/bin/gpg-agent ]; then
> >
> >     kill $(ps ux | awk '/gpg-agent/ && !/awk/ {print $2}') >/dev/null 2>&1
> >
> > fi
> >
> > if [ -x /usr/bin/gpg-agent ]; then
> >
> >   eval "$(/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon)"
> >
> > fi
> >
> > if [ -x /usr/bin/urxvtd ]; then
> >
> >         /usr/bin/urxvtd --opendisplay --fork --quiet
> >
> > fi
> >
> > /usr/bin/enlightenment_start
> >

> > I keyworded x11-misc/sddm-0.14.0-r3 and discovered enlightenment complains
> > it can't run the compositor with OpenGL.  I tried starting a X session
> > from the console without DM, with 'startx /usr/bin/enlightenment_start'
> > but I also get similar symptoms, including inability to run compositor
> > with OpenGL.  I get errors like this in ~/.xsession-errors:
> >
> > ERR<5100>:eina_safety lib/efreet/efreet_ini.c:299 efreet_ini_string_get()
> > safety check failed: ini->section == NULL
> >
> > (gkrellm:5117): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_box_reorder_child: assertion
> > 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (child)' failed
> > ERR<5141>:eldbus lib/eldbus/eldbus_proxy.c:818 _props_get_all() Error
> > getting all properties of
> > org.freedesktop.UDisks2/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/s
> > da1, error message: org.enlightenment.DBus.Canceled Canceled by user.
> >

> > I also tried entrance from bar overlay (it has not been updated in a while
> > and has a dependency on an obsolete package), slim (won't log me in) and
> > lightdm. When I run lightdm there are no such problems, enlightenment
> > starts with OpenGLcompositor, I can mount USB disks, but lightdm
> > installed and is running much more than what I really need for my
> > desktop.
> >
> > Is there a way I can start enlightenment without running into all these
> > kind of errors?  Can you see something wrong in my file contents above?
> Your files look OK to me so I have no idea why you get those erro.

> [...]

Yes, the thought crossed my mind.  ;-)

It is smaller as a package as you noted, but it is running gnomey stuff like
/usr/libexec/accounts-daemon, /usr/libexec/gconfd-2 and perhaps
/usr/libexec/at-spi-bus-launcher, which I am not sure I need.

Either way, if I were to start enlightenment with startx and skip using a DM
altogether, is there a way of starting enlightenment and ensuring it has the
appropriate access rights to run udisks2 and OpenGL?

--
Regards,
Mick