On 03/26 08:18, Adam Carter wrote:
> > I got mixed results: There are three partitions on the sdcard from
> > which I could fully recover (even mount it directly via loop device)
> > the first and the third one.
> >
> > The second one is screwed up.
> >
> > Running fsch.ext4 against the image it starts with "bad superblock"
> > and suggests two alternatives.
> >
> > I started fsch.ext4 again while using -b to define the alternate
> > superblock and it starts to ask me *zillions of question, which
> > I all answered with 'yes' in a first attempt (I have a backup of the
> > image...).
> > The result was an image, which I could mount again.
> > But beside 'lost+found' with some small rests of something which
> > may be files in a previous life nothing was there...
>

> In that case its photorec time against the copy of the image (see previous
> note about only working on a copy - the changes that fsck makes may
> compromise photorec's efficacy). Probably worth reading the testdisk and
> photorec man pages first.

I did that already.
Gives me a lot of files with unrelated names.
Think of your GENTOO box with all names renamed
to something like

    [index number].[filetype]

. So you got back your data but cannot use
it, since the names got lost.

For images this is not a big deal...display them
and you know probably how to rename them back
to something useful.

But what file is (for example)

    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root root       4083 2011-11-22 03:46 file002873.bin

which is located somewhere in the Marianna trench of an Android
system???

Hmmmmm...

Currently I am playing with different kinds of "get lost" it seems...