On Sunday 26 Mar 2017 20:37:08 Adam Carter wrote:
> I did that already.
>
> > Gives me a lot of files with unrelated names.
> > Think of your GENTOO box with all names renamed
> > to something like
> >
> >     [index number].[filetype]
> >
> > . So you got back your data but cannot use
> > it, since the names got lost.
> >
> > For images this is not a big deal...display them
> > and you know probably how to rename them back
> > to something useful.
> >
> > But what file is (for example)
> >
> >     -rwxr-xr-x   1 root root       4083 2011-11-22 03:46 file002873.bin
>
> Does file file002873.bin provide any help?
>
> And yes, its a real pain to loose the filenames!

Some years ago I had to revive a removable drive that someone had repeatedly
snatched out of the machine without unmounting it first. I tried photorec
and pals and had the same impenetrable maze of unhelpful file names as
Adam's. I know it's not much help, but I eventually found another utility
that just swept through and put everything back together again, humpty-
dumpty fashion. I wish I could remember what the utility was. Sorry. But it
is out there somewhere in Google-land.

--
Regards
Peter