On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:47 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 Mar 2017 22:52:25 Jorge Almeida wrote:
>

> Many ISPs today implement TR-069 (a standard of the DSL forum) to access
> customer equipment remotely for service provisioning.  They use configuration
> servers to implement management access to *their* routers and update
> firmware/software, reset the configuration to defaults, or more secure
> settings.
>
> http://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-069.pdf
>
> This also allows them to undertake status and performance monitoring and run
> some diagnostics tests to manage their customers' complaints.
>
> The extent to which all this also allows spying on your connections is
> debatable, but if they have access to your DNS resolver, I guess they can
> route your queries on the fly, wherever they like.
> --
Spying on packets is probably something they'll be able to do if they
want to. Infiltrating the home network is what I find spooky. No one
seems to talk about it, maybe I'm missing something that is obvious
for more knowledgeable people.

BTW, I've been using dnscache (from djbdns) for years. I suppose that
protects against spoofing?

Regards

Jorge