On Tuesday 28 Mar 2017 22:52:25 Jorge Almeida wrote:

> PS. I still would like to know what people in this list think about
> having an ISP managed device as router, re security. Not that I have
> any real option if I want the contracted speed...

Many ISPs today implement TR-069 (a standard of the DSL forum) to access
customer equipment remotely for service provisioning.  They use configuration
servers to implement management access to *their* routers and update
firmware/software, reset the configuration to defaults, or more secure
settings.

http://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-069.pdf

This also allows them to undertake status and performance monitoring and run
some diagnostics tests to manage their customers' complaints.

The extent to which all this also allows spying on your connections is
debatable, but if they have access to your DNS resolver, I guess they can
route your queries on the fly, wherever they like.
--
Regards,
Mick