Hello, Mick.

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 22:46:14 +0100, Mick wrote:
> On Monday 10 Apr 2017 21:24:21 Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > Another idea I've had is that I've got duff RAM.  The various bootable
> > images that crash don't always crash in _exactly_ the same places.  And
> > the BIOS mouse and keyboard freezing up don't inspire confidence.  I do
> > hope it's not the RAM; I'd probably have to remove the processor cooler
> > just to be able to get at the RAM sticks.  :-(
> >
> > > HTH.

> A quick test would be to remove one RAM module at a time and try to boot like
> that.  If you succeed you have the culprit module in your hand.  If not,
> rinse
> and repeat.

I did this.  The machine didn't hang when it only had one RAM stick in -
either RAM stick, it didn't matter.  The slot on the MB it was in didn't
make a difference, either.

What solved this problem was updating the BIOS.  As I said in my reply
to Alan G., the MB I bought was really duff.  I've almost got Gentoo
installed on it, now.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).