On Thursday 20 Apr 2017 19:32:54 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hello, Mick.
>
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 20:11:33 +0100, Mick wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 Apr 2017 18:26:43 Alan Mackenzie wrote:

--->8

> > > Can anybody suggest ideas to get this machine booting?  Would
> > > partitioning the drives with MBR, and trying to boot that way help,
> > > for
> > > example?  I really don't want to do that, though, though if it's the
> > > only way to get my machine booting, I'd do it.
> >
> > Have you tried booting with one disk only?  This should confirm if your
> > set up and drivers are appropriate for your hardware.
>
> I have tried taking the "secondary" SSD out.  It fails to boot in this
> case exactly as when both SSDs are installed.  However, once booted (from
> the CD), the installation system can read and write the SSDs without
> problem.  There's a setting in the BIOS booting section, where one can
> indicated whether booting from NVMe is in GPT or MBR mode, so it seems
> the Asus's intention is to allow booting from an NVMe SSD.

I also have an Asus motherboard, but for Intel hardware.

In your BIOS secure-boot page, do you have a section called Key Management?
When I was working on getting my machine to boot, a year ago, I was advised*
to hit the item "Load default keys". This was to clear out any dross that
might have found its way into the secure-boot mechanism and enable me to
boot in Other mode - i.e. not a Microsoft secure boot.

As Mick says, you need to install a kernel image in the boot partition
(which must be FAT32). There are several ways to do this; I use bootctl from
sys-boot/systemd-boot (don't worry - it doesn't depend on having the rest of
systemd around it). It allows a choice of system to boot, without the
gymnastics needed by GRUB-2, but you have to maintain the different images'
config files manually.

Let me know if I can' help with bootctl. Good luck!

* An advantage of buying a newfangled system ready built.

--
Regards
Peter