On 17-05-21 at 08:41, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2017-05-21 09:51, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > Why are you using encfs with the associated FUSE baggage when ecryptfs
> > is in the kernel and performs the same function?
> Is ecryptfs behind the scenes when I run /sbin/cryptsetup ?
No, ecryptfs is a stacked filesystem (filesystem layered on a filesystem)
that handles encryption on a file-by-file basis

> Cryptsetup is utility used to conveniently setup disk encryption based on
> DMCrypt kernel module.
> These include plain dm-crypt volumes, LUKS volumes, loop-AES and TrueCrypt
> (including VeraCrypt extension) format.
> Project also includes veritysetup utility used to conveniently setup DMVerity
> block integrity checking kernel module.
> [1]
cryptsetup does encryption on the device layer on a block-by-block basis

You put ecryptfs on a filesystem, you put a filesystem on a dmcrypt
device.

[1]: https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/blob/master/README.md

--
Simon Thelen