Mick wrote:

> On Thursday 08 Jun 2017 16:56:21 Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Mick wrote:

>> > I'm puzzled:  I have kde-plasma/kwallet-pam-5.8.6 installed, but it
>> > will *not*
>> > start kwalletd5.  Bear in mind though, I do not run a full plasma
>> > desktop.
>>
>> Do you run SDDM? Do you have those two lines in it?
>>
>> -auth           optional        pam_kwallet5.so
>> -session        optional        pam_kwallet5.so auto_start
>
> Ha!  Thanks for this hint!
>
> I had these entries in my /etc/pam.d/sddm
>
> -auth         optional        pam_kwallet.so kdehome=.kde4
> -auth         optional        pam_kwallet5.so
> -session      optional        pam_kwallet.so
> -session      optional        pam_kwallet5.so auto_start

It seems the only lines required are the kwallet5.so ones.

> but ... sddm has stopped working properly with enlightenment, which is my
> desktop of choice.  So I started using lightdm and forgot to add these
> entries - TBH I thought they were not needed because everything worked as
> it should until now without them.
>
> So, I added the two lines you suggested and rebooted.  I checked that
> kwalletd5 is running:
>
> $ ps axf | grep kwallet
>  4515 pts/1    SN+    0:00                      \_ grep --color=auto
>  kwallet
>  4088 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/kwalletd5 --pam-login 8 10

[snip]

> I think I'll give up on this.  It seems kwallet:4/5 is not working as
> intended
> on my set up.  I hope by the time kdepim has moved from :4 to :5 things
> will
> work as intended.  Until then I will keep the old kwallet:4 installed,
> because at least this works as always did.

First I thought you might have run into an incompatibility between sddm and
lightdm ...

>> Does your system password match the password of your wallet?
>
> No, all users have different kwallet and user login passwds.

... but that's it. kwallet-pam requires the same password for wallet and
login, otherwise it cannot work. Simply adjust the kwallet password or ...

>> > Running Krusader:5 and trying to connect to a remote system starts
>> > kwalletd5 fine, but running kmail:4 it does not.
>>
>> Does kmail:4 work after krusader:5 started kwallet5?
>
> Yes, because Krusader:5 calls kwalletd5 and asks for its password.  Then
> this is available for all applications to use, including kmail:4.

... you will need something else to start kwallet5 then. KMail must be fixed
first to start the new wallet daemon. Maybe you should open a bugzilla
ticket. I am quite sure you will find an entry in the error log when KMail
tries to access dbus for the old daemon.

Cheers,
Jörg