On Tuesday 11 Jul 2017 17:51:03 Franz Fellner wrote:
> > Additional question:  will keyboard selection keybindings for different
> > languages be read off /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf?  In particular,
> >
> >  Option "XkbLayout"
> >  Option "XkbOptions"
> >
> > which help me toggle the keyboard between different languages.  Or is a
> > different mechanism required for (X)Wayland?
>
> You have to go a different route: Either it is directly configurable via WM
> (AFAIK enlightenment has a keybord module) or you have to set
> XKB_DEFAULT_LAYOUT envvar.

OKie dOKie, I set USE=wayland globally and just installed dev-libs/efl-9999
and x11-wm/enlightenment-9999 from bar overlay.  I had to disable opengl and
sdl, enable egl gles and a number of packages were emerged/re-emerged.

I am now running the newly compiled enlightenment and it is more stable than
before.  Nothing has crashed so far and I have not been able to reproduce the
previous mesa/dri problems with application tooltips freezing the whole
desktop.

Also, fonts look clearer, rendering seems faster, compositing smoother.
Switching languages in line with my settings in 10-evdev.conf is working as it
should.  However, perhaps it is a silly question:

How do I know if wayland is running and if it has a hand in all this goodness?

I don't see any running process called wayland ...

These are the two enlightenment desktop related packages emerged from overlay
with their flags:

# emerge -1aDv @enlightenment

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   *] dev-libs/efl-9999:0/9999::bar  USE="X bmp eet egl fontconfig
fribidi gif gles ico nls pdf physics png postscript ppm psd pulseaudio sndfile
ssl svg tga tiff v4l2 wayland webp -avahi -cxx-bindings -debug -doc -drm -
fbcon -glib -gnutls -gstreamer -harfbuzz -ibus -jpeg2k -libuv -opengl (-
pixman) -raw -scim -sdl -static-libs -system-lz4 -systemd {-test} -tslib -xim
-xine -xpm" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R   ~] x11-terms/terminology-1.0.0::gentoo  USE="nls -doc" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R   ~] x11-wm/enlightenment-9999:0.17/9999::bar  USE="eeze nls pam
ukit wayland -doc -egl -pm-utils -static-libs -systemd"
ENLIGHTENMENT_MODULES="appmenu backlight battery bluez4 clock conf-
applications conf-bindings conf-dialogs conf-display conf-interaction conf-
intl conf-menus conf-paths conf-performance conf-randr conf-shelves conf-theme
conf-window-manipulation conf-window-remembers connman contact cpufreq
everything fileman fileman-opinfo gadman ibar ibox lokker mixer msgbus music-
control notification pager pager16 quickaccess shot start syscon systray tasks
teamwork temperature tiling winlist wizard xkbswitch -access -packagkit -wl-
desktop-shell -wl-drm -wl-fb -wl-x11" 0 KiB

Total: 3 packages (3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

2nd question:

What are the following enlightenment modules for?

wl-desktop-shell
wl-drm
wl-fb
wl-x11

Do I need these to run wayland, or is the wayland USE flang alone sufficient?

--
Regards,
Mick