On 2017-07-11 09:02, Rich Freeman wrote:

> > I use GNOME with Wayland for some time and I actually didn't notice
> > that I switched until I tried to get synergy working ( mouse sharing
> > software, which only works on X ), seems like GDM automatically
> > chose Wayland since some upgrade. XWayland works pretty seamlessly
> > as well, so I'll just stay with Wayland for now, but it might be
> > more annoying to use it with other DEs/WMs.

> > However, I have less screen tearing with fullscreen applications
> > with Wayland than I had with X ( with radeon + mesa ).

> My sense is that this is probably what people would see.  It will
> probably work fine for any of the major DEs, but you'll find these
> little cases of tools that aren't ported.  One BIG area that will be
> affected is X11 forwarding.  I'm not sure if that works over ssh or
> not with wayland, but wayland in general doesn't support network
> sockets.

What about "3rd party" window managers like openbox?  From my limited
understanding of wayland, that functionality just goes out of the window
(OOPS, sorry); window management becomes a responsibility of the toolkit
and there is no way to plug in a different one.

Or does xwayland help with that?  I'll be grateful for an explanation of
this area, as I'm worried about the future of the X server but I'm also
married to openbox.