By default, BOINC daemon is started by root and supposedly drops
permissions after a bit. However, the CERNVM VirtualBox application
cannot run as root, so they recommend running BOINC from a user
account that has virtualbox permissions; VirtualBox, on the other
hand, will not run as root for security reasons.

I got around this by making BOINC as "user" and moving its $HOME to
/home/boinc/  and I don't think I had to change anything (except the
/etc/conf.d/boinc file.)  I am not using any hardening in the kernel,
so that may complicate things.

I currently run some 11 projects, including SETI, CERN, Einstein, and
World Community Grid.  Everything works fine for me.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury
redwo...@gmail.com