[This post is directed at Mike Gilbert. I am not receiving Gentoo list
messages for some reason, I found his reply in the archives!]

>OpenRC only gained support for the "unified" cgroup hierarchy within
>the last week or so in version 0.31.

Thanks for the hint. I have that version of openrc installed. Openrc-0.31.1 is
now available so I installed that and the problem went away.

Cheers
Robin
Robin Atwood.

         from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling