Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2017, 11:19:02 CEST schrieb Peter Humphrey:
> On Monday, 9 October 2017 20:20:53 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
> > I don't really see how you can repeatedly release new versions of
> > something without changing the version number, but maybe that's just me...
>
> No, it isn't just you. What you describe is a classic example of a developer
> trying to hide his mistakes - strictly unprofessional. It would not have
> been allowed anywhere I've worked.
>
> I know that volunteers are hard to find, but even so ...
>
> Good work spotting the trail, by the way.

It's actually simpler than that: ebuilds do not need a revision bump when
fixing compilation errors, since the ebuild remains uninstalled [0].  And if
you /were/ able to build it, you won't profit from a revbump, either (in fact,
people tend to loudly complain about unnecessary rebuilds).  So, no, it most
likely is /not/ someone trying to hide their mistakes.  Never mind that the
changes are easy to find in Gentoo's version control history [1], which
references bug #633640, which in turn reveals that they were trying to fix a
build error, but accidentally caused another in the process.  So, yeah, so
much hiding going on here!

[0] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/ebuild-revisions/
[1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/log/?qt=grep&q=firefox

--