On 2017-10-12 08:36, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > A more serious problem is how to find all the situations where
> > /usr/local is baked in.  It's not as simple as grep because when I
> > could, I relied on the implicit PATH which would be configured
> > somewhere else, or it might not even be configured - it might be
> > compiled in (I think this is the case for some programs in the
> > shadow package, and perhaps PAM modules).
>
> Not sure what the context is here. Are you talking about packages and
> ports code, or your own stuff you compiled yourself?
>
> Either way, what problem were you asking about by writing that
> paragraphs?

GNU/Linux packages that set the PATH, on which my script stuff ends up
relying.  If I just move my scripts to, say, /opt/foobar, and edit the
all the occurences of "/usr/local", something will still break because a
script that is found now by virtue of the ambient PATH won't be found in
the new world.