On 24.11.17 17:40, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> That's because I don't yet know enough to know what questions to ask;
> that's why I hoped I'd be pointed to a general guide or explanation.

http://www.fetchmail.info/ is the most obvious starting point, and I
assume you have found that one. Fetchmail per se is not Gentoo-specific,
so you're better off asking questions on the FM mailing lists should you
find the manual and FAQ insufficient.

> > If you plan to use a single fetchmail process, ~foo/.fetchmailrc (with
> > foo being the user you want to run fetchmail as) usually suffices.
>
> I assume you mean ~/.fetchmailrc, a file in my home directory, no?

You can run fetchmail as the user you are logging in with or as a
separate user. I suggest the latter if you want to run fetchmail in
daemon mode, for standard privilege separation reasons. I used "foo" as
an example. If you want to run fetchmail on demand only, a dedicated
user account may be inconvenient, and you did not say which method you
are aiming for in your OP.

-Ralph