On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 02:19:33PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 10:34:48AM +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote
>
> > It doesn't build here; I get a few errors, thus:
> >
> >  9:41.58 ../../build/unix/gold/ld: error: /var/tmp/portage/www-client/
> > palemoon-27.6.2/work/palemoon-27.6.2/o/toolkit/library/../../media/
> > libstagefright/Unified_cpp_media_libstagefright0.o: requires dynamic
> > R_X86_64_PC32 reloc against '_Z13GetDemuxerLogv' which may overflow at
> > runtime; recompile with -fPIC
>            ********************
>            ********************
>
>   GCC is giving you a hint.  Actually, I've run into other stuff in
> Gentoo that breaks with PIE and PIC.  Google is full of complaints for
> other distros.  I'm seriously considering sticking "-fno-pic -fno-pie"
> into CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS before migrating to 17.0.  And it'll also save me
> from rebuilding everything on every machine.  My ancient netbook with 2
> gigs of ram will thank me.

  While we're at it, throw "-pic" into USE, to speed up the
non-pic/non-pie system...

[d531][waltdnes][~] grep -i ":pic - disable"
/usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc
app-arch/gzip:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
dev-util/electron:pic - Disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
games-emulation/yabause:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC
friendly
games-fps/duke3d:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
media-libs/mesa:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
media-libs/x264:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
media-libs/x265:pic - Disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
media-libs/xvid:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
media-video/transcode:pic - disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC
friendly
www-client/chromium:pic - Disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC
friendly

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>