On 12/05/2017 05:23 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> I've been waiting for shouts of horror at that suggestion, but all's quiet
> so I'll see if I can remember how to set -fpic in the environment of
> palemoon. I'd have expected the ebuild do that though.

The upstream build system should already be using -fpic for any of its
shared objects[0]:

  The most important recommendation is to always use
  -fpic or -fPIC when generating code which ends up in
  DSOs. This applies to data as well as code... When gcc
  is used... It is therefore mandatory to compile all
  code which can potentially end up in a DSO with
  -fpic/-fPIC since otherwise the DSO might not work
  correctly.

If -fpic is missing, it's probably a bug in some Makefile. The ebuild
*can* fix that in the meantime, but it belongs upstream.

[0] http://people.redhat.com/drepper/dsohowto.pdf