The first thing I am not certain of is my recompilation of Xorg using the suggested USE flags. I put the new USE flags in /etc/make.conf and then issued the command: "emerge -N xorg-x11". Will that work, or do I have to do the emerge with "emerge --newuse --enable bitmap-fonts truetype-fonts type1-fonts" explicitely? Perhaps my understanding of USE flags is wrong for recompiling packages.

I wonder about this, because I enable the xtt module in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but I get an error message that the xtt module cannot be found. Using slocate I confirmed that xtt is nowhere to be found.

I would ask the same question for compiling freetype and the fonts suggested.

In any case, Windowmaker runs as superuser, but fails as a simple user. It claims it can't find any fonts.

I guess I haven't gotten to first base yet.

Thanks,

Rob.