On 05/12/17 21:56, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 10:09:56 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>
>> $ grep tmpfs /etc/fstab
>> tmpfs   /var/tmp/portage  tmpfs
>> noatime,uid=portage,gid=portage,mode=0775  0 0
>> tmpfs   /tmp                      tmpfs
>> noatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=1777   0 0
>
> Or you could set PORTAGE_TMPDIR to /tmp to save the second mount.

Dunno why portage puts this stuff in /var/tmp, rather than /tmp, but do
be aware of what the standard says ...

Stuff in /tmp should be cleared at shutdown/boot.

Stuff in /var/tmp should survive a shutdown/boot.

Of course, if, like me you've put /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs, then of
course it won't survive a reboot, contrary to spec ... :-)

Cheers,
Wol