On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 07:36:19 -0500,
Kent Fredric wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 02:17:09 -0500
> John Covici <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>
> > OK, thanks, I think I will try that.
>
> The problem you're facing is that you masked dev-lang/perl, but not any
> virtual/perl-* or perl-core/-* to compensate.
>
> These 3 components work in concert like a single component, as a sort
> of bodge to compensate for the fact portage has no working "provides" feature,
> and to compensate for the dependency-system missmatch between how
> Gentoo works and how CPAN works.
>
> Theres' no easy way of fixing this atm, but the short of it is if you're using
> an ~arch dev-lang/perl, you should be using an ~arch virtual/perl-*,
> and if you're using an "arch" dev-lang/perl, you should be using only
> "arch" versions of virtual/perl-*
>
> Once you do this, portage may still scream at you, because portage is
> very much optimised for upgrading, and it tends to think downgrading is
> an error.
>
> So once you get all your masks/keyword changes in place, you should do:
>
>   emerge -C virtual/perl-*
>   emerge -C perl-core/*
>
> (or something to that effect)
>
> This looks scary, but generally isn't, because you're not actually removing
> anything with this, just juggling a few balls and making only older
> versions of certain things available ( as they're alls shipped in
> dev-lang/perl )
>
> And then after you do this, portage is more likely to be persuadable
> into doing the right thing.
>
> You can additionally abuse my tool, gentoo-perl-helpers for doing some of
> this,
> and some of the steps I've described are automated because they're just
> that safe and useful.
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Perl#app-admin.2Fgentoo-perl-helpers
>

> After putting the right masks in place, do:
>
>       gentoo-perl gen-upgrade-sets 5.26 5.24
>
> And if you're really lucky, the sets it generates will work the first time :)
>
> ( I actually tested this scenario when developing it, but its still an
> undocumented use on purpose )
>
> GLHF.

I went ahead and did the upgrade which worked, but the emerge from
perl-cleaner --all did not.  I am using ~amd64 and have done so for
years, so I don't think I need to maks off anything.  I seem now to be
stuck with dev-python/setuptools, so I am now trying to figure out why
I can't emerge that -- it was triggered by the perl-cleaner --all .

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         cov...@ccs.covici.com