On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:20:24 GMT you wrote:
> On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:01:50 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
> >   Is there a default page size setting in your desktop environment that
> >
> > could've changed?
>
> This problem is happening across different PCs, desktops/DEs and different
> applications.  The common factor is they are all using CUPS, the same
> brother driver and the default page size of A4.
>
> I'll have another poke tomorrow into the http GUI of the printer and then
> try to print with MSWindows to see what happens.

MSWindows prints fine, just as Linux used to until recently.  I printed a
portrait layout from Firefox on both MSWindows and Linux.

In MSWindows, the Shrink-to-fit setting made the page fit into the A4 paper,
perfectly.

In Linux, the top of the page is cropped, the bottom stops short by an
equivalent height and the sides are wider.  It's as if the page is both
misaligned vertically and not shrunk-to-fit.

This tells me there's nothing wrong with the printer - half a problem solved!

I still can't explain why the Linux cups and brother driver started
misbehaving, just because I happened to recompile them with gcc-6.4.0.

I'm also not sure what I could tweak to restore the Linux driver's behaviour
to what it should be.

Any ideas how I could calibrate the paper size in the Linux driver to align
with the physical dimensions of A4?  The ppd file and its measurements look
correct to me, but as you may have figured out, I'm no printing expert ...

--
Regards,
Mick