On 2018-01-19, Grant Taylor <gtay...@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

> So you don't need to accept mail via /usr/sbin/sendmail (et al).

Correct.

> Or rather, that's what you want email to leave the relay through.

Correct.

>> I want to relay each of those messages by invoking a command-line
>> utility that has the same "API" as /usr/bin/sendmail.  That utility
>> injects the mail into another machine's MTA.
>
> Okay.
>
> Aside: I don't know that I would consider that to be an API, but I
> do see why you consider it as such.

I meant the sematics and sytax of the command line options and the
data accepted on stdin and produced on stdout.  I probably should have
said "usage" rather than API.  Since I always use that utility from a
Python or Bash program, in my head that's its API.

>> In this case, the /usr/bin/sendmail utility transfers the message
>> to a different machine's MTA using mechanisms that are beyond the
>> scope of my question.
>
> Okay.
>
> So it sounds to me like you want a gateway of sorts that speaks SMTP
> (as a server to clients) on one side and <some custom non-SMTP
> method> (that acts as a client to other servers) on the other side.
> Is that accurate?

Exactly.

> In Sendmail parlance, what you want is a custom mailer.  Said custom
> mailer would then interface with your custom /usr/bin/sendmail
> (emulation wrapper).
>
> Finally, configure Sendmail to use said custom mailer as the method
> to communicate with the smart host.

Thanks.

I was sort of afraid that sendmail was going to be the answer. :)

The last time I ran sendmail was on a Sun-3/60 machine, and I never
did quite understand how to configure it...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Loni Anderson's hair
                                  at               should be LEGALIZED!!