On 2018-01-19, Grant Taylor <gtay...@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

> I haven't done enough with the above (alternate) MTAs to be able to
> speak to them.  But my understanding is that they come with a
> /path/to/sendmail wrapper script (or binary) that emulates part of
> what the sendmail binary did.  At least the portions there of that
> clients use to submit email the way that you're talking.

I have a /usr/bin/sendmail emulator that transfers mail to an MTA that
will then worry about delivery.  I need an SMTP server that will relay
incoming mail by using that existing command-line utility.

>> I'm currently using something I wrote in Python, but the SSL
>> support in the 3rd party SMTP module is broken and I don't relish
>> trying to fix it.
>
> Do you actually need a local MTA (daemon)?  Or do you just need
> something smart enough to accept messages from standard in and pass
> them out via a smart host?

I need something that accepts mail via SMTP (with SSL and AUTH
support), and then relays each received message by invoking a command
line utilty that has the same API as /usr/bin/sendmail.

There is no local delivery and no acceptance of mail other than via
SMTP.

I would very much prefer that there is no queueing: the smtp server
should not acknowlege acceptance of the message until the smtp server
has invoked /usr/bin/sendmail and it has returned success.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I've read SEVEN
                                  at               MILLION books!!