On 19/01/2018 22:01, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2018-01-19, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I can say it because I have some experience with exim, and I know it can
>>> do pretty much anything.  If its configuration language isn't Turing
>>> complete, it is quite damn close to it.  And the same can be said of
>>> sendmail, though I know much less about it know.
>>
>> I'm also wondering why you need 2 bits. Earlier in the thread you
>> mentioned that you send perhaps a few messages a week and never more
>> than one connection at a time.
>>
>> Why do you need anything more complex than ssmtp?
>
> I'm not just _sending_ mail.  I'm relaying mail that's being sent by
> another host.  I need an SMTP server that supports AUTH and SSL.

OK

>> where are the messages coming from?  localhost?  the lan? somewhere
>> on the internet?
>
> SMTP clients (on the Internet).  I thought that was sort of implied by
> the requirement for an SMTP server (with AUTH and SSL).

Well, sort of implied. The door was still open for all manner of other
interpretations. Eg, you have 10 staff but only 2 may send mail, so
authorize them by username and password - ssl, no internet. There are
many other possibles

>> Grant, you should explain your requirements in detail.
>
> I thought I did.
>
> My requirement is to provide an SMTP server (with AUTH and SSL) that
> accepts mail and relays it by invoking a command-line utility that has
> the same usage as /usr/bin/sendmail.

Is it correct to assume this sendmail-like utility is the broken one
that does the next step as you want it, presumably delivering to Exchange?

Configure the delivery options in MTA you set up to pipe the mail to
this sendmail-like app. All MTAs can do that and they usually explain
how to at length in their docs

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com