On 2018-01-19, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't see how you can say that when you don't know the method that
>>> my command-line MTA uses to transfer mail on down the path towards
>>> delivery.
>>
>> I can say it because I have some experience with exim, and I know it can
>> do pretty much anything.  If its configuration language isn't Turing
>> complete, it is quite damn close to it.  And the same can be said of
>> sendmail, though I know much less about it know.
>
> I'm also wondering why you need 2 bits. Earlier in the thread you
> mentioned that you send perhaps a few messages a week and never more
> than one connection at a time.
>
> Why do you need anything more complex than ssmtp?

I'm not just _sending_ mail.  I'm relaying mail that's being sent by
another host.  I need an SMTP server that supports AUTH and SSL.

> where are the messages coming from?  localhost?  the lan? somewhere
> on the internet?

SMTP clients (on the Internet).  I thought that was sort of implied by
the requirement for an SMTP server (with AUTH and SSL).

> Grant, you should explain your requirements in detail.

I thought I did.

My requirement is to provide an SMTP server (with AUTH and SSL) that
accepts mail and relays it by invoking a command-line utility that has
the same usage as /usr/bin/sendmail.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm a nuclear
                                  at               submarine under the