On 25.01.2018 12:35, Mick wrote:
> [...]
>> created the following GPT-disklayout:
>>
>> root@sysresccd /root % parted /dev/sda print
>> Model: ATA ST1000DX002-2DV1 (scsi)
>> Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
>> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
>> Partition Table: gpt
>> Disk Flags:
>>
>> Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
>>  1      1049kB  3146kB  2097kB  fat32           grub  bios_grub
>
> The above implies an MBR partition table approach to booting your OS, which a
> non-UEFI (BIOS only) MoBo will need.  However you are meant to be using UEFI
> *only* and GPT ...
>

>>  2      3146kB  137MB   134MB   ext2            boot  boot, esp
>
> and this partition is what should be used for an UEFI MoBo, but the fs is
> wrong.  Change it to fat32 and check with gdisk that its partition code is
> EF00, which according to your 'boot, esp' flags it should be.  This is your
> EFI System Partition (ESP).
>

>>  3      137MB   4429MB  4292MB  linux-swap(v1)  swap
>>  4      4429MB  5503MB  1074MB                  root
>>  5      5503MB  1000GB  995GB                   vg
>>
>> Partition-1 was created like this: mkfs.fat -F 32 -n efi-boot /dev/sda1
>> Partition-2 was created like this: mkfs.ext2 -T small /dev/sda2
>>
>> GRUB_PLATFORMS was set to "efi-64" in make.conf before emerging grub:2
>>
>> /boot and /boot/efi is mounted like this
>> # mount | grep boot
>> /dev/sda2 on /boot type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl)
>> /dev/sda1 on /boot/efi type vfat
>> (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mi
>> xed,errors=remount-ro)
>>
>> I had to remount /sys/firmware/efi/efivars in rw-mode, otherwise
>> grub-install would complain.
>
> Yes, this has been the case for some time now.  You will always need to
> remount it as rw before you change the contents of the ESP boot partition.
> It
> is also mentioned here:
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2
>

>> grub-install was run like this
>> "grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi"
>
> But ... /boot/efi is not your ESP.
>

>> And "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" has been run without any errors.
>>
>> efibootmgr shows my gentoo as the first entry
>> # efibootmgr
>> Timeout: 1 seconds
>> BootOrder: 0000,0001,0002,0003
>> Boot0000  gentoo
>> Boot0001  Hard Drive
>> Boot0002  Network Card
>> Boot0003  UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell
>
> Use 'efibootmgr -v' to check the path of the .efi image it tries to boot and
> check the path is correct without any typos.  What you show above is only a
> label.
>

>> But when I boot without the USB-key inserted I always "lands" in the
>> Built-in EFI Shell - NO sign of GRUB.
>>
>> Any suggestions where I have gone wrong?
>>
>> KR
>
> The ESP needs to be formatted as vfat and the GRUB boot image grubx64.efi

Thanks for the advice, now grub starts and I get the menu (now I just
have to figure out why the kernel hangs after being loaded).
And just for reference, my partition-table now looks like this:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  137MB   136MB   fat32           boot  boot, esp

--
Dan Johansson
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!