On Thursday, 25 January 2018 13:18:13 GMT Dan Johansson wrote:
> Thanks for the advice, now grub starts and I get the menu (now I just
> have to figure out why the kernel hangs after being loaded).

Glad you got it loading.

Check at what stage the kernel oops - this would point at what in the kernel
configuration has gone awry.  You must build the chipset and filesystem
drivers in the kernel (not as loadable modules), which may even drop you in a
command prompt to troubleshoot from there.
--
Regards,
Mick