80x24 <aleiphoe...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 8:44 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> Installing gentoo as guest into vbox vm on solaris-11 (openindiana)
>> HOST
>> gentoo-17
>> VBox 5.2.6
>> Kernel 4.15.0
>>
>> My first boot resulted in resulted in a kernel panic... not able to
>> mount root.
>>

> Maybe taking a video record or screenshot and providing a extact log
> message would help.
>
>> In a chroot now I can see lspci -k shows ata_piix in use .. but that
>> would probably be because in vbox I have the gentoo install media on
>> IDE secondary master.  But also shows sata controller ahci
>
> In case device driver is fine, you would want to check the filesystem
> type. I've done something like using btrfs as rootfs but didn't mark
> btrfs as builtin module.
>
> Similar kernel panic.

OK, tried the video capture but the video file never shows up.
That is, I used settings on vbox manager panel to enable video
capture. Start the bootup and I can see the video camera icon in
bottom right of vm window spinning as it should.

But, when the `panic' shows up I click the camera Icon as the
directions say to do to end capture and retrieve the vid file.

At the point of `panic'.. clicking the camera has no effect and it
continues to spin.

Trying to guess when the panic is about to happen and clicking just
ahead of the event does not produce a video file, nor does it stop the
camera spinning.

I did get a screenshot but it is very limited showing only a couple
dozen lines of the boot messages. (attached at the end.)

The log produced by Vbox is useless and I could see nothing useful in
it.  It is some kind of codified account of the VBox actions and has
nothing to say about the OS in the vm.  I'm pretty sure the `panic'
has nothing to do with the VBox controller.

I'm at the point now, after at least 5 reconfigurings and rebuilds
of the kernel, to no avail, that I'm going to try the genkernel
approach.

I've never used genkernel, but from what I understand it builds
everything + the kitchen sink.. so should get the right drivers
hopefully.