On Oct 17, 2005, at 2:18 pm, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:

http://dansguardian.org/?page=copyright2

I read that as "your friend can download it for non-commercial use &
then distribute it to you for free under the GPL for you to use for
commercial purposes".

I don't agree. In my opinion the legal status of this document is that
it carries two licences but no option to freely chose between them if
you're using it commercially.

I read that as the terms of the download, true enough, but once the author licenses to a non-commercial user under the GPL he licenses them to:

   ... copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source
   code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you
   conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an
   appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep
   intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the
   absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the
   Program a copy of this License along with the Program.

... In the mentioned way to circumvent the license, there's the question if
- the "GPL" really is a GPL here.

ISTM that if he's licensed the code to non-commercial users under the GPL then the GPL must really be the GPL. I do see your point, but I don't see how the author could dispute the above text of the license he's issued.

There are some parallels to Sveasoft's position here - they'll give the GPL source code to registered users who pay for it but they'll cancel your registration & ban you from their forums if you do redistribute it under the GPL. Although I think this is highly unethical (considering that their GPL code is derived from other peoples' work) and that it places "further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted" it's worth noting that neither has it been challenged legally, nor has Sveasoft made any attempt to pursue legally anyone for redistribution.

Stroller.