On Friday, 23 March 2018 22:03:45 GMT mad.scientist.at.la...@tutanota.com
wrote:
> I appreciate the pointers.  however it also said that it couldn't embed
> grub.  I believer my error was installing it to the boot partition

You can install grub in the MBR of a disk, or in the boot record of a
partition, should you so wish.

If the latter, then you will have to chainload the partition's GRUB from
another primary boot loader.  You could have grub legacy on your /boot
partition and have this chainloaded from grub2, LILO, etc., which you
installed in the MBR of your disk, USB stick, etc.

--
Regards,
Mick