Bill Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I use the palemoon overlay.

There is also the octopus overlay.
Anyway, both can only react to upstream.

> builds fine with gcc-6.4

Yes, but it has random crashes which do not occur with gcc-5,
and as somebody familiar with the code posted somewhere,
the reasons are quite some assumptions in assembler code
which should not have been made. (I simply repeated these
claims without checking them.)

Upstream knows about it and therefore officially does not
support building with gcc-6. Since firefox upstream has fixed
all these things ages ago, and palemoon is not able to identify
or pull the corresponding patches this shows IMHO that it
has already diverged to a degree that it cannot be reasonably
maintained with the resources they have, and I doubt that
security issues are closed (or worse: recognized) timely:
In contrast to crashes (even Heisenbug crashes), security
issues cannot be "detected" if there is no expert regularly
checking the code very carfully.

The decision to stick with legacy extension api completely
excludes that there is some convergence of the fork in the
future.

Also the refusal to implement webextension apis (which is
consequent, since it is hardly possible to maintain 2
more and more diverging apis) has the side effect that
only obsolete versions of the actively maintained extensions
like noscript and ublock-origin can be used. In the moment,
the legacy version of noscript is still maintained, but only
because of the tor browser. I suppose eventually this will change.

I also do not know much about waterfox, but if one goal ist
to keep legacy extensions, I am afraid it will go the palemoon
way, too:
It seems currently that mozilla, google, and apple are the only
oranganizations with enough resources to maintain full browsers,
and any forks of their browsers which diverge more than a patchset
of essentially fixed size are doomed to fail for this very reason.